Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book Review: Miki Falls, Volume 1: Spring

Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollinsPublishers)
Genre: Fiction; Manga; Romance; Teen Fiction
Number of Pages: 165


Overview:
     Miki Yoshida is ready to take on her senior year of highschool, and this year things are going to be different. Turns out, things are different. . . especially when Hiro Sakurai begins coming to school. Before he even arrives the whole school knows about his coming. Word is he's cute. Really cute. But once Hiro arrives, talk about him dwindles as his cold countenance pushes everyone away. It isn't long before everyone forgets about him, except Miki. She knows there is something more to this mysterious newcomer and the "new" Miki is going to find out what that is.

Is this love? Because Miki is falling for Hiro. Will his secrets keep them apart. . . ?

Star Rating:
     4 stars

Content Rating:
     PG (recommended 10&up, but it's not too young at all)

My Opinions:
      I enjoyed this a lot. Though the book is obviously fast-paced, it does a good job portraying the characters and their feelings. I admire that they are true to their personalities, and, for being fiction, that the book does mix in some realistic aspects. Looking at the drawings in each panel, I thought the artwork was beautifully done and I admired Mark Crilley's unique layouts for each page. It was very easy to read and follow along, and each page held its own surprises.

Overall, this was a fun read and I would read it again. This, for me, is the equivalent of a chick-flick, except obviously it's a more of a chick-lit. I could not wait to finish the series, and now I own all four books and would easily recommend the series. If only Mark Crilley would make more!!!

     If you like manga, or would like to give it a try, this is a great place to start! Mark Crilley is an amazing artist, but he has also done a wonderful job creating an interesting story.

Content (For Those Who Wonder):
     This book is very clean, but I did make notes for anyone who would like to know.

Language - "I swear to God" (pg 22), "Oh my God" (pg 46), and "Jeez" (pg 52).
Sensuality - None.
Violence - None.
Other - One of the characters talks about a "goddess of love", but it is only briefly mentioned (pg 144).

Check out my review for the second book here!
Get this book on: Amazon or Barnes&Noble!!


Have you read any Miki Falls books? Any related books?
What were your thoughts? I'd like to know!

And if you have a book you would like reviewed, I will consider reading and reviewing it.
Just comment below or message me.

Disclaimer: All opinions are my own. I purchased this book myself. This review was not paid for or endorsed by anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment